School wellness policies are an important part in creating an environment to support the well-being of students and staff. Nebraska Extension can serve a valuable role in helping your school to promote healthy eating and physical activity that support your wellness policy.
Nebraska Extension can:
- Locate materials (posters, curriculum, etc) to support nutrition and physical activity education and promotion
- Be a guest speaker/teacher in the classroom
- Help with meeting Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Garden grant nutrition education requirements
- Provide suggestions related to healthier classrooms
- Share healthy fundraising ideas
- Deliver special seminars for coaches, nurses, etc.
- Be an advocate for student involvement in food demos, tastings, menu planning, etc.
- Make connections between different wellness/food/physical activity people in schools
- Promote nutrition classes/lessons that can be taught at school
- Offer tips of the month, recipes and ideas to be sent out for parents, students and staff
- Offer Go NAP SACC training to preschools
- Offer food service training including Smarter Lunchroom Movement strategies
- Help develop, promote and deliver family events or fun nights with nutrition education activities
- Serve on your Wellness committee