- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup raisins, chopped
- Wash hands with soap and water. Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine dry ingredients. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Add milk and raisins; stir until dough leaves side of bowl. Turn dough onto a lightly floured board. Knead about 20 times or until just smooth. Shape into a ball.
- Pat or roll lightly until 1/2" to 3/4" thick. Cut out biscuits with a floured cutter. Place biscuits on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 425°F for 12 to 15 minutes.
Optional Icing: In a microwave-safe dish combine 1 teaspoon margarine and 1/2 tablespoon milk. Microwave on medium power until margarine melts. Add 1/4 teaspoon vanilla and 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Stir until smooth. Spread on warm biscuits.
- Try using white whole-wheat flour. Get the same nutritional benefits as whole white flour but with a lighter color and texture.
- A tomato paste can with the "ends" cut out makes a perfect biscuit cutter — inexpensive and results in the perfect "sized" biscuits for little tummies.
- This a great recipe to make with kids. The dough is easy to handle and only takes a few minutes to bake!
- Serving Size (1 biscuit):
- Calories 114
- Total Fat 5g
- Sodium 180mg
- Total Carbohydrates 15g
- Fiber 1.4g
- Protein 2.4g