Yield: 4 servings
- 2 (5 ounce) cans tuna in water, drained
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 stalk celery, scrub with clean vegetable brush under running water, thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons onion, scrub with clean vegetable brush under running water, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons dill pickle relish
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, gently rub under cold running water or 1 teaspoon dried parsley (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- black pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons margarine
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 4 slices tomato (optional)
- 4 slices low-fat Cheddar cheese
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a medium bowl, combine drained tuna, mayonnaise, celery, onion and relish. Add parsley, red pepper flakes, if desired, black pepper and salt. Mix with a fork.
- Spread margarine on one side of each bread slice.
- Place margarine side of bread on the skillet.
- Top plain side of bread with 1/2 cup of tuna salad. Top tuna salad with one slice of tomato, if desired and one slice of cheese. Top with a second slice of bread, margarine side facing up. Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
- Heat skillet over medium heat*. Cook sandwiches until brown. Flip and repeat on the other side.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
*If your skillet is too hot, the bread will burn before the sandwich is heated through and the cheese is melted. Lower the temperature, if needed.
- Serving Size (1/4 of recipe):
- Calories 380
- Total Fat 13g
- Saturated Fat 3g
- Sodium 790mg
- Total Carbohydrates 42g
- Fiber 1g
- Total Sugars 8g, includes 0g Added Sugars
- Protein 27g