Yield: 4 servings
- 2 (5 ounce) cans tuna in water, drained
- ¼ cup light mayonnaise
- 1 stalk celery, scrub with clean vegetable brush under running water, thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons onion, scrub with clean vegetable brush under running water, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons dill pickle relish
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, gently rub under cold running water or 1 teaspoon dried parsley (optional)
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Black pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons margarine
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 4 slices tomato (optional)
- 4 slices low-fat Cheddar cheese
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a medium bowl, combine drained tuna, mayonnaise, celery, onion and relish. Add parsley, red pepper flakes, if desired, black pepper and salt. Mix with a fork.
- Spread margarine on one side of each bread slice.
- Place margarine side of bread on the skillet.
- Top plain side of bread with ½ cup of tuna salad. Top tuna salad with one slice of tomato, if desired and one slice of cheese. Top with a second slice of bread, margarine side facing up. Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
- Heat skillet over medium heat*. Cook sandwiches until brown. Flip and repeat on the other side.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
*If your skillet is too hot, the bread will burn before the sandwich is heated through and the cheese is melted. Lower the temperature, if needed.
- Serving Size (¼ of recipe):
- Calories 330
- Total Fat 14g
- Saturated Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 25mg
- Sodium 900mg
- Total Carbohydrates 28g
- Fiber 5g
- Total Sugars 4g, includes 2g Added Sugars
- Protein 20g
- Vitamin D 6%
- Calcium 15%
- Iron 15%
- Potassium 6%
Nutrition Software Used:
ESHA Food Processor