This soup is an excellent source of vitamin C. Vitamin C helps promote healing of cuts and scrapes.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 ripe tomatoes, washed and chopped or 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 1 Tablespoon fresh basil, washed (optional)
- salt (optional)
- pepper (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil.
- Add onion and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in tomatoes. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir a few times as soup is cooking.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in basil, salt, and pepper if desired.
- For smooth soup, allow to cool slightly, move contents to a blender and blend to desired consistency. Return to saucepan and heat to simmer.
- Serving Size (1/4 of recipe):
- Calories 90
- Total Fat 4g
- Saturated Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 400mg
- Total Carbohydrates 13g
- Fiber 2g
- Total Sugars 8g
- Protein 3g
- Vitamin A 25%
- Vitamin C 100%
- Calcium 4 %
- Iron 10%