Grain foods are divided into two different groups: whole grains and refined grains. Whole grains contain the whole grain kernel. Refined grains have been put through a process that removes the fiber, iron, and many B vitamins. Iron and B vitamins are often added back into refined products, but the fiber is not.
- 2 cups tomatoes, gently rubbed under cold running water and chopped OR 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil OR ¼ cup fresh basil, gently rubbed under cold running water and chopped
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 6 ounces whole wheat pasta, uncooked*
- Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, oil, basil, garlic, pepper and salt, if desired.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Drain pasta and add the tomato mixture.
- Top with Parmesan cheese if desired.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
*If you choose refined grain pasta, make sure it is enriched by checking the ingredient label.
- Serving Size (¼ of recipe):
- Calories 140
- Total Fat 4.5g
- Saturated Fat .5g
- Sodium 125mg
- Total Carbohydrates 22g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 4g