It is always nice if you can make extra of one recipe and use it for something else! The next time you prepare your favorite smoothie, consider increasing the size of the recipe and make the extra into freezer pops!
- 1 6-ounce carton vanilla low-fat or fat-free yogurt
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries, gently rubbed under cold running water
- 1 medium banana, sliced
- 4 to 8 ice cubes
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Combine yogurt, strawberries, and banana in blender with the yogurt added first. Cover and blend until smooth; start at a lower speed and gradually increase the speed as the mixture starts to blend and become smooth.
- With the blender still running, drop ice cubes — one at a time — through the hole in the lid. Blend until smooth and desired thickness. Somewhere between 4 and 8 ice cubes should be about right, depending on the size of cubes.
- Serve immediately or freeze in freezer molds or paper cups to enjoy later.
- Strawberries do not continue to ripen after they are picked. Select firm, fully ripe strawberries with a deep red color. Do not wash strawberries until you are ready to eat or prepare them. Excess moisture causes them to spoil faster.
- Store strawberries in the refrigerator in their original clamshell container from the store. Remove any moldy or damaged berries. They'll remain at best quality for about 3 days.
- Leave the green caps on strawberries when you wash them. Removing the stems lets water seep into the strawberries, affecting their taste and texture. To wash, place strawberries in a strainer or colander and remove any damaged fruit. Wash them thoroughly under running water or wash with a gentle spray from your kitchen sink sprayer hose. Turn the colander or strainer and gently move the berries around as you wash them. Gently blot dry. Remove the caps with a paring knife, small measuring spoon, or a strawberry huller.
- Calories 100
- Total Fat 1g
- Saturated Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 30mg
- Total Carbohydrates 22g
- Fiber 3g
- Total Sugars 16g, includes 3g Added Sugars
- Protein 3g
- Vitamin D 0%
- Calcium 8%
- Iron 6%
- Potassium 8%