Strawberry Rhubarb Quinoa Porridge
Strawberries are an excellent source of vitamin C and a good source of potassium. Store strawberries in the refrigerator, rinse under running water just before serving.
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 1/4 cups water, divided
- 2 cups rhubarb, chopped, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup strawberries, chopped, fresh or frozen
- 1/3 cup uncooked quinoa or whole grain hot cereal of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon corn starch
- vanilla yogurt (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a medium saucepan, combine 2 cups water, rhubarb, strawberries, quinoa, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cover and cook about 25 minutes or until the quinoa is tender.
- Stir in sugar and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, whisk cornstarch with the remaining 1/4 cup water. Stir into the quinoa mixture, return to a simmer and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Serve warm, or refrigerate until cool.
- Top with vanilla yogurt if desired.
- Serving Size (1/6 of recipe):