Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Planning meals saves you time and money. Start by planning the meal your family eats together the most. Plan the main dish first and then add other foods.
Yield: 8 servings
- 3 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce, no salt added
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup frozen corn (optional)
- Cheese, shredded (optional)
- Cooked rice or corn chips (optional)
- Fresh cilantro, gently rubbed under cold running water, chopped (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water. Spray slow cooker bowl with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place chicken breasts in bottom of slow cooker. Wash hands with soap and water after handling uncooked chicken.
- Add tomatoes, black beans, tomato sauce, green chilies, salsa and corn, if desired. Gently mix.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4 to 6 hours and until internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 °F as measured with a food thermometer.
- Thirty minutes before serving, remove chicken breast and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir.
- Optional, serve over rice or top with cheese, tortilla chips or cilantro, if desired.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- Serving Size (1/8 of recipe):
- Calories 230
- Total Fat 2g
- Saturated Fat 0.5g
- Sodium 845mg
- Total Carbohydrates 32g
- Fiber 10g
- Protein 23g