This frozen ice cream pumpkin pie recipe is quick to make, can be prepared in advance and adds some extra vitamin A and calcium to your meal!
- 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) pure pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ½ to 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, depending on how spicy a flavor you enjoy*
- 1 quart (4 cups) of a lower fat vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt, softened**
- 1 9-inch prepared graham cracker pie crust
- Whipped topping, if desired
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Mix the pumpkin, sugar and spice until well blended.
- Quickly mix pumpkin mixture with the softened ice cream.
- Pour into crumb crust and freeze, uncovered, until firm -- a couple of hours.
- When pie is frozen, cover with plastic wrap and then cover with freezer-quality foil or place in a freezer bag and squish out the air.
- Thaw pie slightly at room temperature (about 5 to 10 minutes) before serving. Top with whipped topping, if desired.
* If you don't have pumpkin pie spice, for EACH TEASPOON of pumpkin pie spice, you can substitute a combination of:
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
NOTE: If you're missing either the nutmeg OR the cloves, you can increase the amount of the other spice to ¼ teaspoon.
** Soften ice cream by placing the container in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes to 20 minutes. Avoid repeatedly softening and refreezing ice cream as it gets icy.
- Calories 190
- Total Fat 4.5g
- Saturated Fat 2.5g
- Cholesterol 35mg
- Sodium 160mg
- Total Carbohydrates 35g
- Fiber 0g
- Total Sugars 25g, includes 20g Added Sugars
- Protein 4g
- Calcium 10%
- Iron 6%
- Potassium 6%