Keep raw meat, poultry, eggs, and fish separate from cooked and ready-to-eat foods. Do not wash or rinse raw meat or poultry.
- 1 pound chicken, skinless and boneless
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 ½ cups whole wheat penne or rotini pasta
- 3 cups broccoli florets, gently rubbed under cold running water OR 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese, cubed
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Remove visible fat from chicken and cut into bite-sized pieces. Wash hands with soap and water after handling uncooked chicken.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken cubes and cook for 7 to 9 minutes, while stirring occasionally, until chicken reaches 165°F when measured with a food thermometer. Set aside and cover to keep warm.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Add fresh or frozen broccoli during the last 3 minutes of cooking.
- Drain the water from the pasta and broccoli. Return food to the pot and return to the stove over low heat.
- Add the milk and cream cheese. Stir the mixture constantly until smooth.
- Add the Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, pepper, and cooked chicken. Stir to combine.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- Serving Size (1 1/3 cup):
- Calories 320
- Total Fat 14g
- Saturated Fat 6g
- Cholesterol 85mg
- Sodium 340mg
- Total Carbohydrates 22g
- Fiber 3g
- Total Sugars 5g, includes 0g Added Sugars
- Protein 28g
- Vitamin D 6%
- Calcium 15%
- Iron 6%
- Potassium 15%
This recipe is provided by Iowa State University Extension and Outreach. For more resources like this, visit the Spend Smart. Eat Smart. website at ”http://spendsmart.extension.iastate.edu”. Spend Smart. Eat Smart. is a registered trademark of Iowa State University.