Cheesy Pork Stuffed Bell Peppers
Yield: 8 servings
- 4 large bell peppers, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water
- ½ pound fresh pork sausage
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup canned corn, drained
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup salsa
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup cilantro, gently rubbed under cold running water, chopped (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut bell peppers in half and remove core, membrane and seeds. Place on prepared baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown sausage until the internal temperature reaches 160°F when measured with a food thermometer. Drain fat and turn off heat.
- Add cooked rice, corn, beans, salsa, spices and ½ cup of cheese. Stir well.
- Evenly distribute meat mixture into the bell pepper halves. Top with the other ½ cup of cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and peppers are hot and softened. Sprinkle with cilantro, if desired, and serve.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- Calories 250
- Total Fat 9g
- Saturated Fat 3.5g
- Cholesterol 30mg
- Sodium 580mg
- Total Carbohydrates 27g
- Fiber 5g
- Total Sugars 5g, includes 0g Added Sugars
- Protein 15g
- Vitamin D 0%
- Calcium 15%
- Iron 10%
- Potassium 10%
Nutrition Software Used:
ESHA Food Processor