- 1/2 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, gently rubbed under cold running water, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup instant brown rice
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup diced, cooked chicken (optional)*
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Heat oil in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and black pepper. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, water, and brown rice to the skillet. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in frozen peas. Cover and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Stir in lemon juice, butter and Parmesan cheese. Cook, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes, stirring continuously until thickened.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
*Add 1 cup cooked diced chicken in step 3, if desired.
- Serving Size (1/4 of recipe):
- Calories 160
- Total Fat 6g
- Saturated Fat 2.5g
- Cholesterol 10mg
- Sodium 60mg
- Total Carbohydrates 22g
- Fiber 2g
- Total Sugars 2g, includes 0g Added Sugars
- Protein 5g
- Vitamin D 0%
- Calcium 2%
- Iron 6%
- Potassium 2%
This recipe is provided by Iowa State University Extension and Outreach. For more resources like this, visit the Spend Smart. Eat Smart. website at http://spendsmart.extension.iastate.edu. Spend Smart. Eat Smart. is a registered trademark of Iowa State University.