Baked Lentil Casserole
Planning meals save you money and time. Remember to include healthy snacks in your meal plan and include them on your grocery list. Be flexible.
Yield: 5 servings
- 1 cup lentils* (rinsed)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup onion, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can "no salt added" diced tomatoes
- 2 carrots, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water, shredded
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 2 quart baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine lentils, water, seasonings, onion, tomatoes, and carrots.
- Place lentil mixture in prepared baking dish. Cover tightly wth oven-safe lid or foil.
- Bake for 60 minutes.
- Remove cover and top with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
*Any type of lentils can be used in this recipe.
- Serving Size (1/5 of recipe):
- Calories 220
- Total Fat 4g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Sodium 125mg
- Total Carbohydrates 33g
- Fiber 6g
- Protein 13g