Whole grains contain the whole grain kernel. Refined grains have been put through a process that removes the fiber, iron, and many B vitamins. Iron and B vitamins are often added back into refined products, but fiber is not.
- 1 Tablespoon butter or margarine
- ½ cup onion, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 ½ cups instant rice, uncooked
- 2 Tablespoons slivered almonds or sunflower seeds (can add more to taste if desired)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter, add onions and saute until tender.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Add bouillon cubes and stir to dissolve.
- Stir in rice and slivered almonds. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Fluff with fork and serve.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- May substitute 2 cups chicken broth for the water and bouillon cubes.
- Consider adding some fresh or frozen vegetables like carrots or peas.
- Serving Size (1/6 of recipe):
- Calories 80
- Total Fat 3.5g
- Saturated Fat 1.5g
- Cholesterol 5mg
- Sodium 125mg
- Total Carbohydrates 11g
- Fiber <1g
- Total Sugars 1g
- Protein 2g
- Vitamin A 2%
- Vitamin C 2%
- Calcium 2%
- Iron 2%