With 18+ hour workdays, the stress of the weather, markets, and limited healthy, one-handed dining options, it's easy to put health on the back burner during the busy seasons of calving, planting, and harvest. While in-person and online support surrounding nutrition and health seems almost endless these days, the unique challenges of the ag community, including farmers, ranchers, and their families, have largely been overlooked. Food in the Field aims to fill this gap!
About the Program
Food in the Field is a FREE nutrition education program created by Nebraska Extension and is designed to help Nebraska families make better eating choices during their busiest times. While not all Nebraskans are farmers or ranchers, everyone can relate to the seasonal stress and on-the-go eating habits of modern-day life. Food in the Field aims to leave you feeling energized and empowered in choosing an eating pattern that makes sense for YOU and your family.
After attending a virtual or in-person 1-hour presentation, participants will:
- Understand the basics of a healthy eating pattern and get tools for long-term success
- Learn how to prepare easy, healthy meals at home
- Receive new, healthy recipes that can be enjoyed at the table or in the field
- Gain tips for how to pack food for the field with health in mind
Additionally, anyone interested can sign up for a FREE e-newsletter where they will get more great tips and recipes that are farmer- and rancher-approved but helpful for all!
Subscribe to the Food in the Field E-Newsletter
By subscribing to this FREE e-newsletter, you will be granted access to Food in the Field video clips, tips, and recipes you can use in your own home. Our aim is to help you feel better equipped to make healthy choices for yourself and your family, especially during the busy seasons of calving, planting, and harvest.
Your email address is used only for sending you the latest e-newsletter and is not shared. Remember to check your junk or spam e-mail folder for the initial subscription notification. If you have any questions about subscribing, please contact Hannah (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Tara (email@example.com).
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is there a fee associated with this program? No—Food in the Field is a FREE program, and the accompanying resources on the website and in the e-newsletter are free to download.
- I am not an ag professional. Is Food in the Field still applicable to me? Absolutely! We all lead busy lives and could benefit from the nutrition information and helpful tips and tricks covered in this program.
In-Person Offerings of Food in the Field
We have a couple of in-person options that may be of interest to you. Whether you are looking to attend as an individual or are looking to schedule a Food in the Field program for a group you represent, please contact Hannah (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Tara (email@example.com) for all in-person inquiries.
- Food in the Field 1-Hour Presentation: This version of Food in the Field is delivered using a combination of PowerPoint slides and group discussion. It is great for the following settings: classroom, workplace trainings, conferences, in-services, and more.
- Food in the Field 1-Hour Presentation + Cooking Demo: This version of Food in the Field is delivered using a combination of PowerPoint slides, group discussion, and a cooking demonstration of one custom recipe. It is great for the following settings: classroom, workplace trainings, conferences, in-services, and more.
Food in the Field is a nutrition education program that aims to help farmers and their families making healthy eating choices during harvest, planting, and year round.