Bell peppers can be found in a rainbow of colors and can vary in flavor according to their color. This is because as the pepper ages, the flavor becomes sweeter and more mild.
Nutrition and Health Benefits of Bell Peppers
Bell peppers are high in Vitamin C, which helps heal cuts and wounds, and are a good source of Vitamin A, which promotes eye health.
How to Select Bell Peppers
Choose bell peppers that are firm, bright in color and have tight skin.
How to Store Bell Peppers
Store unwashed bell pepper in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for up to one week.
How to Prepare Bell Peppers
- Add to sandwiches or wraps
- Try adding bell peppers to a salad
- Add to salsa
- Add peppers to a stir-fry
- Dice and add to a quesadilla or taco
- Add to a pasta sauce
- Add to a stew, soup or chili
- Make fajitas by cooking peppers and onion together
- Grill peppers or grill them on a kebab
- Slice raw peppers and eat with a dip or hummus
Seasonal Availability of Bell Peppers in Nebraska
Materials to Print
The Seasonal Produce Handouts page includes a variety of handouts, recipes, and recipe cards that are available as downloadable PDFs. You can use these resources in your educational programs.