White Chicken Chili
To reduce sodium content of soups, drain and rinse canned beans, use low-sodium broth, and add your own spices instead of using a seasoning packet.
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 Tablespoons olive, canola , or vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies, drained
- 2 (15.8 ounce) cans great northern beans
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- In a large saucepan, heat oil. Add onion and cook until tender.
- Add green chilies, beans (do not drain), chicken broth, garlic powder, pepper, ground cumin, and chicken. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until desired thickness.
- Serve hot, topped with cheese.
- Serving Size (1/6 of recipe):
- Calories 300
- Total Fat 14g
- Saturated Fat 5g
- Cholesterol 45mg
- Sodium 670mg
- Total Carbohydrates 19g
- Fiber 5g
- Total Sugars 1g
- Protein 23g
- Vitamin A 4%
- Vitamin C 10%
- Calcium 20%
- Iron 15%