A serving of "Old Fashioned Bread Pudding" is a delicious way to add whole grain breads to your meals! Buttering each slice of bread and sprinkling it with cinnamon before cutting it into cubes makes every bite especially tasty!
- 5 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ cup sugar, white or brown
- ½ cup raisins or dried cranberries
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Wash hands with soap and water. Preheat oven to 350 °F. Spray an 8x8 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Spread one side of bread with margarine or butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Cut bread into 1-inch cubes.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine bread cubes, sugar, and raisins.
- Break eggs into a medium-sized bowl. Wash hands with soap and water after cracking raw eggs. Add milk and vanilla to eggs. Blend well.
- Pour liquid over bread mixture; lightly mix. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 50 to 60 minutes or until the center of the mixture reaches 160 °F when measured with a food thermometer. At this temperature, a metal knife inserted near the center of the pudding comes out clean.
- Serve warm or cold. Top with vanilla yogurt if desired. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- Calories 270
- Total Fat 8g
- Saturated Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 105mg
- Sodium 180mg
- Total Carbohydrates 34g
- Fiber 2g
- Total Sugars 24g, includes 12g Added Sugars
- Protein 8g
- Vitamin D 6%
- Calcium 10%
- Iron 10%
- Potassium 6%
Adapted from: Montana Extension Nutrition Education Program, Montana State University Extension Service