This quick and easy rice dish provides four out of the five MyPlate food groups. Consider adding more protein, such as cooked chicken or chickpeas.
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked*
- 1 cup radishes, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water, diced
- ½ cup red onion, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water, diced
- ½ cup chopped nuts or seeds (almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, etc.)
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup fresh parsley, gently rubbed under cold running water, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 Tablespoons vinegar (apple cider, red wine, or white wine vinegar)
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 cup diced, cooked chicken or cooked chickpeas (optional)**
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Cook rice according to package directions. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine rice, radishes, onion, nuts, raisins, and fresh parsley.
- To make the dressing, combine vegetable oil, vinegar, sugar, curry powder, pepper, and salt (if desired) in a small bowl until well combined.
- Add the dressing to salad and toss to combine.
- Serve warm or cold, as a main dish, or as a side.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
*If using leftover rice to make the recipe, use 2½ cups of cooked rice. Other types of rice or grains can be used, such as quinoa, farro, wild rice, etc.
**Add 1 cup cooked diced chicken or chickpeas in step 3, if desired.
- Serving Size (1 cup):
- Calories 190
- Total Fat 12g
- Saturated Fat 1.5g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 10mg
- Total Carbohydrates 19g
- Fiber 3g
- Total Sugars 12g, includes 2g Added Sugars
- Protein 4g
- Vitamin D 0%
- Calcium 4%
- Iron 6%
- Potassium 4%