- 1 ½ cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup sugar
- Wash hands with soap and water
- Add all the ingredients to a blender. Blend until the ingredients are well-mixed and the chips are broken into small chunks.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 months. Makes about 3 cups of mix.
- For one cup of cocoa: In a small saucepan, whisk ¼ cup of the cocoa mix with ¾ cup milk while bringing the milk barely to a simmer over medium-low heat.
This recipe uses less sugar and cocoa powder than many cocoa mixes.Also, it omits adding non-dairy creamer. The mini semi-sweet chocolate chips add an extra chocolaty flavor, sweetness, and a slight creaminess from the fat content of the chips. Adding the cocoa to heated milk rather than using non-fat dry milk powder makes the taste more similar to cocoa made from scratch.
- Serving Size (¼ cup of mix made with ¾ cup of low-fat milk):
- Calories 210
- Total Fat 6g
- Saturated Fat 2.5g
- Cholesterol 5mg
- Sodium 80mg
- Total Carbohydrates 35g
- Total Sugars 30g, includes 20g Added Sugars
- Protein 9g
- Vitamin D 10%
- Calcium 20%
- Iron 15%
- Potassium 8%
Recipe provided by Alice Henneman