Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 whole chicken*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup whole wheat egg noodles, uncooked**
- 1 cup sliced celery, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water
- 1 chopped, gently rubbed under cold running water and chopped
- 3 large carrots, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water, peeled and sliced
- Water to cover
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large saucepan, place salt and chicken. Wash hands with soap and water after handling uncooked chicken.
- Add enough water so the chicken is covered. Heat to boiling. Cover, reduce heat and simmer about 45 minutes or until chicken is tender and reaches and internal temperature of 165°F on food thermometer.
- Remove chicken from broth and cool enough to handle. Remove skin and bones and chop the meat. Skim fat from broth.
- Add additional water, if needed to make 6 cups. Bring to a boil.
- Add chicken, onion, carrots, celery, and noodles to the broth. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
* Substitute 2 pound roast or stew meat for chicken to make beef noodle soup.
** Substitute 3/4 cup rice for noodles to make chicken and rice soup.
- Serving Size (1/6 or recipe):
- Calories 180
- Total Fat 3.5g
- Saturated Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 80mg
- Sodium 520mg
- Total Carbohydrates 11g
- Fiber 2g
- Total Sugars 3g
- Protein 25g
- Vitamin A 100%
- Vitamin C 15%
- Calcium 4%
- Iron 8%