Beet and Chickpea Salad
Yield: 3 Servings
- 2-3 beets, cooked and peeled
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chile sauce or hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Rinse beets under cool running water.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Cut off stems of beets, leaving about an inch.
- Place beets in pot of boiling water, cover and let simmer for about 45 minutes, or until tender.
- While beets are cooking, in a small bowl, combine lime juice, chile or hot sauce, vegetable oil, salt and pepper.
- Strain beets once done and place in bowl of cold water. Once cool to the touch, cut off root and stems, then use hands to peel the skin off.
- Rinse the beets and chop into 1-inch pieces.
- Combine beets, chickpeas, peanuts and dressing.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
You can wear plastic gloves to peel the skin off of the beets since they can stain your hands.
- Serving Size (1 cup):
- Calories 230
- Total Fat 13g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 600mg
- Total Carbohydrates 23g
- Fiber 7g
- Total Sugars 3g, includes 0g Added Sugars
- Protein 9g
- Vitamin D 0%
- Calcium 4%
- Iron 10%
- Potassium 8%
Nutrition Software Used:
ESHA Food Processor