Please see the drop-down menu under Food Topics in the top navigation bar for links to pages on other food topics.
Enjoy healthy cooking from your own kitchen. Use recipes from our collections to get started!
- Cook It Quick
- Food Fun for Young Children
- Cooking with Kids (recipes used in our 4-H and youth programs)
- Discover Seasonal Cooking
- Gluten-Free Baking with Sorghum
- Canning, Freezing and Drying Food
Cook It Quick aims to make you “hungry for healthy food” and offers tips and delicious, quick-to-prepare, inexpensive recipes to help you:
- Eat more fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and low-fat dairy products
- Reduce sodium, solid fats, and calories
- Keep food safe
Food Fun serves up quick, healthy meal and snack ideas for younger children.
The recipes are easy to make. Children will enjoy "cooking" them with you!
Cooking with Kids provides a collections of healthy recipes from our 4-H section / Youth Section. Here you'll find:
- The Cookie Jar
- Microwave Magic
- Simple Snacks
- Cook Drinks
- Fun Bites
Discover Seasonal Cooking gives you recipes, tips, and inspiration for cooking locally by the season. The recipes also work great as handouts at Farmers Markets, with CSA boxes and at stores that sell local foods.
The following are a small collection of recipe sheets developed with funding from the Nebraska Grain Sorghum Board. For questions or comments about these recipe handouts (printer-friendly PDF copy), email Jenny Rees.
Whole grain sorghum flour is a wholesome, hearty grain that provides important fiber and has a mild flavor that won’t compete with the delicate flavors of other food ingredients.
- How to Bake Gluten-Free with Sorghum (includes recipes)
- Gluten-Free PowerBars
- Gluten-Free Grab 'n Go
- Gluten-Free: A Special Treat: Cupcakes and Baking Tips
- Gluten-Free Baking Gets Better with Sorghum
Canning, Freezing and Drying Food Provides you with general directions, as well as sections dedicated to just fruits, vegetables, tomatoes and tomato products; meats, poultry and seafood; pickles and fermented products; jellies, jams and preserves.