Food Reflections is a FREE monthly email newsletter. Each issue provides a "how-to" message on food, nutrition, or food safety for health professionals, educators, and consumers. Past newsletters are archived, see the link below.
We are still in the process of updating and moving past Food Reflections newsletters to this site. If you find any link, etc. that isn't working correctly, please email me: Alice Henneman Thanks!
- January: Your Super Bowl Game Plan for Healthy Eating
- February: Cooking for 1 or 2
- March: How Should You Spent Your Calorie Salary?
- April: Prevent Portion Distortion
- May: 30 MyPlate Steps to a Healthier You
- December: Staying Active over the Holidays
- January / February: Test Your Salt Savvy
- March/April: What You Should Know about the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010
- May/June: Test Your Summer Food Safety Savvy
- July/August: No newsletter
- September/October: Promoting & Learning about Nutrition and Food Safety through Social Media
- November: Avoid Guessing about Holiday Food Safety
No newsletters were published this year as the original Food website was being expanded, redesigned and moved to this location.
- January: Wishing You a Healthy, Happy New Year
- February: 13 Fun Ways to Eat More Fruits and Vegetables
- March: Sorghum and Celiac Disease (includes recipes)
- April: Flavor that Food! (Spice/Herb/Food Combinations Chart)
- January: Save Some Green by Going Green with Your Grocery Shopping
- February: Name that Food!
- May/June: Supermarket Savings: 16 Tips that Can Total Big Bucks
- July/August: 9 "Bites" for Better-Tasting Fruits & Veggies
- January: - Special: Article providing links to all new materials on FOOD Website - "10 New or Updated Handouts PLUS 9 Updated PowerPoints"
- February: Food Safety: What You Don't Know CAN Hurt You!
- March: Let's Play -- FOOD: Keep or Toss
- April/May: The Garden Grocery: Food Safety & Selection at the Farmers' Market (slide show, PowerPoint, handouts, links)
- June/July: Walking off the Midway Munchies
- August/September: Do You REALLY Know How Much You Eat? (Quiz)
- October/November: Healthy (and FUN!) Holiday Gifts for YOU!
- December: Tiny Tastes Can Total Big Calories over Winter Holidays
- January: Special : Meet the Grain Group: Tips for Using MyPyramid
- February: Picture This: Taste AND Nutrition!
- May: Walk, and Enjoy the View!
- July: Are You Winning the "Fruit & Vegetable Bowl Game"?
- August/September: Food for Thought - Food Quotes
- October: Hitting for Home Plate
- November/December: Let's Play "FOOD"Ball!
- January: Decoding Food Product Dates
- February: Spending Your Calorie Salary: Tips for Using the 2005 Dietary Guidelines
- March: Making the Most of Our Dessert Calories
- April: Singing the Praises of Beans
- May: Avoid Portion Distortion with MyPyramid's Specific Guidelines
- June/July: Special: Foodborne Illness Can Cause More than a Stomach Ache!
- September/October: Home Refrigerator Savvy
- November/December: 30 MyPyramid Steps to a Healthier You
Currently featuring ...
(Updated May 20, 2013)
- Healthy Bites Newsletter
May: Beef Month
- Cook It Quick Newsletter
- Food Reflections Newsletter
December Issue: 9 Tips for Staying Active over the Winter Holidays
- Walk Nebraska Newsletter
May 2013: Healthy Recipes Easy to Find
- Making HealthierRDecisions
- Nutrition Know How Blog
(A new tip posted weekly)
- Discover Foods Blog
(a new tip posted weekly)
- Cook It Quick Blog
(published 1 -2 times/month)
- A Runner Eats
(Written by a dietitian/former Univ. of Nebraska All-American runner)
- Food, Nutrition & Health by the Month Calendar
- Food Fun for Young Kids (Pinterest)
- Easy (& Healthy!) Everyday Recipes (Pinterest)
- "Choose MyPlate" Update (video)
- 4-Day Throw Away (food safety app)
- Choose MYPlate: Selected Consumer Messages (free PowerPoint and online slide show)
- Test Your Salt Savvy (quiz)