Please see the drop-down menu under Food Topics in the top navigation bar for links to pages on other food topics.
Materials and Online Programs for Food, Nutrition and Health - Related Education
We offer a variety of FREE materials in our Food, Nutrition and Health Educational Resources section you can download and use in your educational programs.
- PowerPoints, handouts, videos, online slideshows
- Online Extension Education Programs (some also offered live)
- Additional Extension Sources of Handouts
Key to Materials in this Section
|Indicates a handout is included.||Indicates a PowerPoint® is available here.|
- Slow Cooker Meals New
- Feeding without the Fuss (younger children) New
- Healthy Cooking with Fresh Herbs New
- Spending Your Calorie Salary - FOR TEENS
- Homemade Holiday Beverage Mixes in a Jar
- Prevent Portion Distortion
- How Should You Spend Your Calorie Salary?
- Mix It Up - to Expand Your Holiday Gift-Giving Dollar - Food Mixes in a Jar
- Choose MyPlate: Selected Consumer Messages
- Name that Veggie!
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010: Quiz Yourself!
- What You Should Know about the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010
- Test Your Salt Savvy
- Tiny Tastes Can Total BIG Calories over Winter Holidays
- How to Bake Gluten-Free with Sorghum Series
- Color Yourself Healthy
- Supermarket Savings: 16 Tips that Total BIG Bucks!
- Name that Food!
How much do you really know about the foods you eat? Find out by playing this game (designed for groups)
- The Garden Grocery: Food Safety & Selection at the Farmers' Market
- Meet the Grain Group
- Add a Little SPICE (& HERBS) to Your Life
- Food for Thought: FOOD QUOTES
- Fitness Indulgence
The information in this brochure can help you get started on developing your “fitness indulgence” program.
- Let's Play "FOOD" Ball!
- Hitting for Home Plate
- 30 Mypyramid Steps to a Healthier You
Online Extension Educational Programs (some also offered live)
- Walk Nebraska
Through Walk Nebraska, you will walk on your own, but select a trail for a "virtual walk" across Nebraska.
- Small Steps to Health and WealthTM
This health/finance program is designed to motivate you to implement change strategies that simultaneously improve your health and personal finances. You can register for classes OR watch recorded past sessions.
- Control Diabetes for Life
Videos and handouts shown used in the "live" class.
Additional Extension Sources of Handouts
Several sections of the Food, Nutrition, and Health section of food.unl.edu include printer-friendly copies of materials suitable for use as handouts. For additional materials for programs, news articles, blogs, tweets and more, check these sections:
- Recipe Central
Healhy, easy-to-prepare recipes and recipe collections that assist people in implementing MyPyramid recommendations. Many are especially targeted toward using local foods.
- NebGuides / Other Publications
These University of Nebraska–Lincoln publications cover a variety of food, nutrition and related food safety topics.
- Healthy Bites
Healthy Bites is a monthly newsletter, posted around the first of each month. Each month, a different food theme for that month is explored.
- Walk Nebraska (newsletters)
Walk Nebraska newsletter topics from exercise as an immunity boost to wearing layers when being active outdoors in cold months. They are formatted so they can be used as handouts.
- Cook It Quick
Many of the topics available in this section are available in a printer-friendly format and may be used as handouts. They also provide content for newsletters, blogs, tweets, etc. You can sign up to receive a monthly email update when new materials are added to this area via the Cook It Quick Newsletter.
- Food Reflections
Timely topics on food and nutrition issues are offered in Food Reflections newsletter. A printer-friendly copy is included for each issue. Visit this page to view the topics covered plus sign up for the monthly email announcement when a new newsletter is added to the site.
Currently featuring ...
(Updated December 9, 2013)
- Healthy Bites Newsletter
December: Healthy holiday party tips
- Cook It Quick Newsletter
- Food Reflections Newsletter
Holiday Tips via Pinterest
- Walk Nebraska Newsletter
December Issue: Fitting in Activity - Walking at Work
- Making HealthierRDecisions
- Nutrition Know How Blog
(A new tip posted weekly)
- Discover Foods Blog
(a new tip posted weekly)
- Cook It Quick Blog
(published 1 -2 times/month)
- Agri-Cultural with Dr. Lindsay
- Food, Nutrition & Health by the Month Calendar
- Food Fun for Young Kids (Pinterest)
- Easy (& Healthy!) Everyday Recipes (Pinterest)
- "Choose MyPlate" Update (video)
- 4-Day Throw Away (food safety app)
- Choose MYPlate: Selected Consumer Messages (free PowerPoint and online slide show)
- Test Your Salt Savvy (quiz)
Explore food-related academic majors!
The University of Nebraska–Lincoln (UNL) offers several food-related undergraduate programs in a variety of academic disciplines. Many of these programs are interdisciplinary. More ...