Begin with the Right Tools
Having the right kitchen tools can make cooking easier and more fun! However, you don't need every tool in the store. Before you buy that next piece of kitchen equipment, check the following tips and suggestions.
Use "Mise en Place" to Make Meal Preparation Easier
Learn how practicing "mise en place"- prepping foods and measuring out first - can help you assemble meals more quickly and effortlessly.
9 Bites for Better-Tasting Fruits and Vegetables
Use these preparation and storage "bites" to enjoy the abundant summer produce at its peak of flavor, appearance and safety!
- Add a Little Spice and Herbs to Your Life Handout
- Recipes Handout using Herb and Spices
- Healthy Cooking with Fresh Herbs (includes herb / food combination chart)
Using the Oven or Stovetop
- Baking (external link to Home Baking Association)
- Oven Roasting Guidelines for Beef
- Oven-Roasted Root Vegetables - YUM!
- Sauteing Tips for Foods (Includes Beef Stew with Vegetable "Gravy" recipe)
Freezing Make Ahead Foods
- Freezing Cooked Food for Future Meals: Freezer Bag Tips
- Make Ahead Frozen Beef Crumbles: Easy Ground Beef Recipes from Your Freezer
- "Tray Pack" Foods when Freezing, for Easy Pouring
Meat, Poultry, Seafood and Eggs Basics
Techniques for Rice, Beans, Fruits & Vegetables
- Washing and Preparing Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
- Cooking with Onions without Crying
- Cooking with Dry Beans
- Cooking Dry Beans from Scratch CAN Be Quick
- Now You're Cooking, with Brown Rice!
- Grilling Fruits and Vegetables on a Double-sided Grill
- What to Do with Zucchini!
- How to Store Tomatoes: Frefrigerator or Counter? Shoulders Up or Down?
♦Helpful Thanksgiving Holiday Cooking Links - (includes cooking ahead)
Reducing the Size of Recipes
Directions for cutting recipes in half or thirds, plus equivalent measures.
How to Interpret Can Sizes
Some favorite older recipes may call for can sizes such as a Number 2 or a Number 303 can. Here's a chart to help you determine how these correspond to current can measurements.
Standard Measurement Equivalent Chart
Need a pint instead of 2 Cups? Find equivalent measurements in this PDF chart.
Often for lack of an ingredient, a recipe is ruined, an extra trip to the store is required, or you must buy a large container of an ingredient for just a teaspoon or two needed in a recipe.
Nutrition Substitutions and Makeovers
Recipe substitutions and makeovers that help you enjoy delicious and nutritious food.
More Substitution Ideas from "Cook it Quick"
UNL Food Features
(Updated August 29, 2014)
- Healthy Bites Newsletter
September: Healthy, delicious rice
- Cook It QuickNewsletter
September: Fresh Produce Tips & Recipes
- Food Fun for Younger Children
Bring on the Bananas
- Food Reflections Newsletter
Promoting Fruits and Vegetables
- Walk Nebraska Newsletter
September Issue: Worksite Wellness - Think Outside the Cubicle