Alice Henneman, MS, RDN, Extension Educator
This recipe was so easy and so tasty. Plus, it had foods from 4 of the 5 food groups!
Makes: 4 servings
- 2 6-ounce cans tuna, canned in water and drained
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped or 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 slices whole wheat bread*
- 4 slices tomato slices (1 medium tomato)
- 4 slices (3 ounces) American cheese
*You can use any whole grain bread or split rolls.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In medium-size bowl, combine tuna, onion, mayonnaise, pepper, and garlic powder. Mix well.
- Place bread on baking sheet.
- Spoon about one-fourth of the tuna mixture on each piece of bread, spreading nearly to the edges. Add a tomato slice.
- Bake 5 minutes.
- Add a cheese slice on top of each sandwich and return to oven for another 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bread is toasted. Serve. Menu Idea: Tuna melt sandwich, vegetable soup, milk
- As you can see from the photo, I had smaller Roma tomatoes and combined 3 slices to cover the sandwich. Also, I just had a block of Swiss cheese and cut off 2 thin strips to top the sandwich. So, don't let a lack the "exact" ingredients keep you from trying this sandwich. Also, I used "no salt added" tuna.;
- For a change of pace, try making the sandwich with canned salmon or chicken or chopped, cooked turkey.