Ingredients (4 Servings)
- 1 T. vegetable oil or olive oil
- 1/2 c. onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 ripe tomatoes, chopped or
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 1/2 c. vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tsp. dried basil or
- 1 T. fresh basil (optional)
- Salt (optional)
- Pepper (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil.
- Add onion and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in tomatoes. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir a few times as soup is cooking.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in basil, salt, and pepper, if desired.
- For smooth soup, allow to cool slightly, move contents to a blender and blend to desired consistency. Return to saucepan and heat to simmer.
Per Serving: Calories 90, Total Fat 4 g (6% DV), 0 g Saturated Fat (0% DV), 0 mg Cholesterol (0% DV), 400 mg Sodium (17% DV), 13 g Total Carbohydrate (4% DV), 2 g Dietary Fiber (8% DV), 8 g Sugars, 3 g Protein, Vitamin A 25%, Vitamin C 100 %, Calcium 4%, Iron 10%.