Salad in a Bag
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 medium apple, gently rubbed under running water, cored, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 carrot, scrubbed with a clean vegetable brush, peeled and cut into 8 pieces (or a handful of baby carrots)
- 1 cucumber, gently rubbed under running water, seeds removed, cut into 8 pieces
- 5 radishes, scrubbed with a clean vegetable brush and cut into 4 pieces
- 5 cooked baby beets (canned beets can also be used)
- Wash hands with soap and water. Place the apple, carrot, cucumber, radishes, and beets into a large self-closing freezer plastic bag. Seal the bag and gently hit with a rolling pin.
- Open the bag and break up any larger pieces. To prevent choking, avoid serving food that is as wide as a nickel or wider. Pour into a serving bowl.
- Add a little of your favorite dressing and gently toss together — remember to dress it lightly, you can always add more dressing. Enjoy!
- Chef Jamie Oliver has a passion for teaching children how to eat healthier. His "Smashed Salad" recipe was one way he introduced fresh fruits and vegetables to young children. This adaptation uses a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables. Select the fruits and vegetables your family enjoys and have fun!
- Smash beets after the other vegetables to prevent them from coloring all the vegetables. The cucumber and apple can be peeled to make them easier to break apart.
- Calories 78
- Total Fat .4g
- Sodium 65mg
- Total Carbohydrates 18g
- Fiber 3.4g