Printer Friendly Copy (248 KB)
Do you ever wonder just how fit you really are? The President's Challenge Adult Fitness Test can tell you! Think of it as a grown-up version of the kids' tests. You'll complete testing activities, enter data online, and receive an evaluation.
There are two types of fitness:
- Performance-related fitness is linked to athletic performance (for example: a 50-yard dash time or the ability to maneuver around obstacles quickly) and is linked to speed, reaction time, and coordination.
- Health-related fitness is linked to fitness components that may lower risks such as high blood pressure, diabetes, or low back pain. Health-related physical fitness includes the following components:
- Aerobic fitness - ability of the heart and lungs to deliver blood to muscles
- Muscular strength and endurance - enough to do normal activities easily and protect the lower back
- Flexibility - ability to move your many joints through their proper range of motion
- Body composition - not too much body fat, especially around the waist
Is the test right for me? The adult fitness test is for people aged 18 and older who are in good health.
Am I healthy enough for testing? Use the Pre-participation Screening Questionnaire provided by the American Heart Association and the American College of Sports Medicine to figure out if you are at high or low risk for cardiovascular events during exercise testing. By completing this questionnaire you can decide if it is safe to take these tests or if you should take additional steps prior to completing the test. Find out if you are healthy enough for testing.
- Sign up for email notification when monthly Family Fun on the Run newsletter is posted
- More newsletters from Family Fun on the Run
- Physical activity information from Nebraska Extension