Questions or comments? Email Alice Henneman, MS, RDN, UNL Extension in Lancaster County
You're tired, there's no one else to fix dinner for tonight and all you feel like doing is pouring a bowl of cereal. But, wait! Take an extra 5 minutes and prepare this luscious parfait, full of foods from 3 of the 5 food groups.
No need to get out your recipe book. Forget about the measuring cups and spoons. Just layer yogurt, low-fat granola and fresh, frozen or canned fruit in whatever proportions you'd like. Add some nuts and you've included a 4th food group. A sprig of mint is optional!
And there's no sink full of dishes!
Here are some possible yogurt and fruit combinations to layer with granola:
- Blueberry Lemon Parfait: Lemon yogurt and blueberries
- Red, White and Blue Parfait: Strawberries or raspberries, blueberries, bananas and vanilla yogurt
- Tropical Parfait: Kiwi, mango, pineapple and coconut or vanilla yogurt
- Berry Good Parfait: Any combination of berries such as strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, boysenberries, blackberries, etc. served with vanilla or a berry-flavored yogurt.
- Peachy Parfait: Sliced peaches and vanilla or peach yogurt. If desired, top with raspberry jam or raspberry syrup.
As an added touch, rather than serving your parfait in a regular glass, try one of these:
- Martini glass
- Wine glass
- 1/2 pint canning jar
- Glass beer stein