Alice Henneman, MS, RDN, UNL Extension in Lancaster County
Have fun with the children in your life by making these healthy snacks that use a variety of foods from the different food groups.
Food Group Funny Face
Serving Size: 1 cracker
Yield: 1 serving
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 large graham cracker or use whole grain or saltine crackers
- 1 tablespoon shredded cheddar cheese
- 3-4 raisins
- 2 large green peas
- 1 grape cut in half
- Spread peanut butter on a cracker in the shape of a face.
- Sprinkle grated cheese at top for hair.
- Place raisins on cracker for mouth.
- Use peas for eyes and 1/2 grape for nose.
Note: This snack is intended for children over age two. Do not serve to younger children who may choke.
Source: Adapted from: Kids a Cookin—, Kansas Family Nutrition Program, available at Food Stamp Nutrition Connection Recipe Finder http://recipefinder.nal.usda.gov/
Nutrition Facts: Calories, 190; Total Fat, 12g; Saturated Fat, 3g; Trans Fat 0g; Cholesterol, 5mg; Sodium, 110mg; Total Carbohydrate, 16g; Dietary Fiber, 2g; Sugar, 5g; Protein, 7g.
Alice—s Notes: Don't limit yourself to just round crackers. Experiment with other fruits vegetables and cheeses, such as dried cranberries, blueberries or raspberries (fresh or frozen, slightly thawed), etc.