Ingredients (6 Servings)
- 1 whole chicken*
- 1 tsp. salt
- water, to cover
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 1 c. celery, sliced
- 3/4 c. whole wheat egg noodles, uncooked**
- In a large saucepan, place chicken and salt. Add enough water so the chicken is covered. Heat to boiling. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer about 45 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from broth and cool enough to handle. Remove skin and bones and chop the meat. Skim fat from broth.
- Add additional water, if needed, to make 6 cups. Bring to a boil.
- Add chicken, onion, carrots, celery and noodles to the broth. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
*Substitute 2 lb roast or stew meat for chicken to make Beef Noodle Soup.
**Substitute 3/4 c. rice for noodles to make Chicken and Rice Soup.
Per Serving: Calories 180, Total Fat 3.5 g (5% DV), 1 g Saturated Fat (5% DV), 80 mg Cholesterol (27% DV), 520 mg Sodium (22% DV), 11 g Total Carbohydrate (4% DV), 2 g Dietary Fiber (8% DV), 3 g Sugars, 25 g Protein, Vitamin A 100%, Vitamin C 15 %, Calcium 4%, Iron 8%.