Article written by Jamie Goffena, MS, (firstname.lastname@example.org) Extension Educator.
On summer evenings, have fun with your children around a campfire or a backyard fire pit. It's a great opportunity to teach fire safety and cooking skills while enjoying a snack. Foil packets are a simple way to cook on the campfire. The keys to success are double wrapping with foil and making sure the foil is sealed securely. The foil packet retains the moisture in your food to keep it scrumptious! Here is a fun recipe to try:
Campfire Apple Pie Packet
- 1 apple
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- Slice the apple (an apple slicer similar to the one pictured makes this task easy and kids like to help push it through).
- Place apple slices on a 12" foil square.
- Let children sprinkle with raisins, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Wrap the foil around the apple and seal using the fold over method.
- Wrap in a second layer of foil.
- Place packet on or just above white coals in your campfire or backyard fire ring (a grill works too, but not as much fun!).
- Using long-handled tongs, turn the packets after 5 minutes and cook 3 minutes more. Times may vary according to the hotness of the coals.
- Remove packet from the coals.
- Using hot pads or oven mitts, unwrap the apple pie and let cool a few minutes on a plate before serving.
Makes 1 serving. Each serving contains 137 calories, 0 gram fat, 37 grams carbohydrate, 5 grams fiber and 6 mg sodium.
Campfire Cooking Checklist
• Kindling, wood or charcoal
• Bucket of water
• Spray bottle
• Hot pads/mitts
• Long-handled tongs for turning packets
• Cooking utensils
• Hand washing supplies
• Dishwashing supplies
• Eating utensils
• First aid kit
Important! Teach children the danger of fire, that it can cause burns or destroy property. Always keep a bucket of water nearby and saturate the campfire coals thoroughly before leaving the area or going to sleep.
Source: Campfire Safety, University of California Agriculture and National Resources 4-H Youth Development Program
This publication has been peer-reviewed.