Please see the drop-down menu under Food Topics in the top navigation bar for links to pages on other food topics.
Super Strawberry Oatmeal Muffins
Printer-friendly PDF copy of recipe
Questions?? - Contact author Cami Wells, MS, RD
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1 cup strawberry applesauce (no added sugar)
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped fresh strawberries
1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix together oil, brown sugar, applesauce, and egg.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to oil mixture to dry ingredients and mix until moistened.
- Carefully blend in strawberries and oatmeal.
- Spoon into 12 muffin cups sprayed with cooking spray or use paper muffin liners. Bake at 350°F for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool. Makes 12 muffins. Each muffin contains 164 calories, 7 grams fat, 25 grams carbohydrate and 2.1 grams fiber.
- Two of the little "cups" of strawberry applesauce were used for this recipe but plain applesauce could be used as well. Look for brands with no added sugar.
- White whole wheat flour is a little lighter in texture and color than traditional whole wheat flour which also could be used. All-purpose flour is another option but won't give the added benefits of a whole grain.
- Other fresh or frozen fruit could also be used such as blueberries, raspberries, peaches, etc. Tossing the fruit with a little bit of flour before adding to batter can help prevent the fruit from sinking to the bottom of the muffins.
- A sprinkle of old-fashioned oats before baking adds a quick, eye-appealling touch to the muffins. A light dusting of cinnamon and sugar could also be used.
Your young child can help:
- Measure ingredients or add ingredients to the mixing bowl
- Stir the batter
- Place paper muffin liners in the muffin tin