Pumpkin Ice Cream Pie
Alice Henneman, MS, RD, UNL Extension in Lancaster County
This easy recipe is quick to make, can be prepared in advance and even adds extra vegetables to your meal!
PUMPKIN ICE CREAM PIE
(Makes 8 servings)
- 1 can (15 to 16 oz.) pure pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, depending on how spicy a flavor you enjoy (*)
- 1 quart (4 cups) of a lower fat vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt, softened (**)
- 1 9-inch prepared graham cracker pie crust
- Whipped topping, if desired
- Mix the pumpkin, sugar and spice until well blended.
- Quickly mix pumpkin mixture with the softened ice cream.
- Pour into crumb crust and freeze, uncovered, until firm -- a couple of hours.
- When pie is frozen, cover with plastic wrap and then cover with freezer-quality foil or place in a freezer bag and squish out the air.
- Thaw pie slightly at room temperature (about 5 to 10 minutes) before serving. Top with whipped topping, if desired.
* If you don't have pumpkin pie spice, for EACH TEASPOON of pumpkin pie spice, you can
substitute a combination of:
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
NOTE: If you're missing either the nutmeg OR the cloves, you can increase the amount of the other spice to 1/4 teaspoon.
** Soften ice cream by placing the container in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes to 20 minutes. Avoid repeatedly softening and refreezing ice cream as it gets icy.