Please see the drop-down menu under Food Topics in the top navigation bar for links to pages on other food topics.
Healthy Bites for August: Healthy Packed Lunches for Back to School
By Lisa Franzen-Castle
Extension Nutrition Specialist, PhD, RD
UNL Panhandle Research & Extension Center
Questions or Comments? Contact Dr. Lisa Franzen-Castle
Are you worried about making healthy and delicious packed lunches for kids this school year? During the school year, many parents will struggle to find healthy foods their children will to take school for lunch. However, shopping smart and trying new ideas can help parents send kids back to school with lunches that are good for them and taste great. Check out these tips to help make school lunches nutritious and fun ...
(Photo courtesy of USDA image library)
Feel free to use/adapt Healthy Bites material (with credit) for your own articles, blogs, handouts, etc. An example credit line would be: Authored by or Adapted from Lisa Franzen-Castle, PhD, RD, University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension Nutrition Specialist. Healthy Bites Newsletter, http://food.unl.edu/web/fnh/healthy-bites, July 2013.
- Packed Lunch Pizzazz.. Cook it Quick: Making You Hungry for Healthy Food.
- Recipe Central. UNL Food Website. Enjoy foods from your own kitchen. It’s quick, easy, economical, and delicious.
- Lunch Box Safety. Nutrition Know How Blog.
- Nutrition for the School-Aged Child, G1086. Parents can help children entering school make healthy decisions.
- Health and Nutrition Information for Children over Five. USDA ChooseMyPlate.gov.
- Nutrition Facts: An interactive guide to food labels. Use this interactive guide to the Nutrition Facts label to help understand what you're eating so you can make healthier choices.