Please see the drop-down menu under Food Topics in the top navigation bar for links to pages on other food topics.
Having the right kitchen tools can make cooking easier and more fun! However, you don't need every tool in the store. Before you buy that next piece of kitchen equipment, check the following tips and suggestions.
30+ Time-Saving Kitchen Tools
Save time in the kitchen with these tools.
Use “Mise en Place” to Make Meal Preparation Easier
Learn how practicing “mise en place”- prepping foods and measuring out first - can help you assemble meals more quickly and effortlessly.
9 Bites for Better-Tasting Fruits and Vegetables
Use these preparation and storage “bites” to enjoy the abundant summer produce at its peak of flavor, appearance and safety!
Healthy Cooking with Fresh Herbs
Whether you plant them or pick them up at the grocery store or farmers’ market, adding fresh herbs is a quick way to transform ordinary meals into extraordinary meals. Directions for substituting dried for fresh, how to store, wash, freeze, prepare fresh herbs, and how to grow an herb garden.
Flavor That Food Spice / Herb / Food Combinations
Make foods tasty without using salt or adding extra fat or sugar by adding these spices and herbs.
Find it Fast: Filing Food Appliance and Other Kitchen Gear Instruction Manuals
A product manual for kitchen items can be a cook's best friend. Here’s how to file them so you can find them.
Using the Oven or Stovetop
- Baking (external link to Home Baking Association)
- Oven Roasting Guidelines for Beef
- Oven-Roasted Root Vegetables - YUM!
- Sauteing Tips for Foods (Includes Beef Stew with Vegetable "Gravy" recipe)
Freezing Make Ahead Foods
- Freezing Cooked Food for Future Meals: Freezer Bag Tips
- Make Ahead Frozen Beef Crumbles: Easy Ground Beef Recipes from Your Freezer
- "Tray Pack" Foods when Freezing, for Easy Pouring
Meat, Poultry and Eggs Basics
- Beef Basics (external link to Cattlemen's Beef Board)
- Pork Cooking Basics (external link to National Pork Board)
- Turkey Basics (external link to National Turkey Federation)
- Chicken (external link to National Chicken Council & U.S. Poultry and Egg Association)
- Eggs 101 -- How to's (external link to American Egg Board)
- Hard-Cooked Eggs (external link to American Egg Board)
- See also the Meat Products Preparation pages►
Techniques for Rice, Beans, Fruits & Vegetables
- Washing and Preparing Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
- Cooking with Onions without Crying
- Cooking with Dry Beans
- Cooking Dry Beans from Scratch CAN Be Quick
- Now You're Cooking, with Brown Rice!
- Grilling Fruits and Vegetables on a Double-sided Grill
- What to Do with Zucchini!
Reducing the Size of Recipes
Directions for cutting recipes in half or thirds, plus equivalent measures.
How to Interpret Can Sizes
Some favorite older recipes may call for can sizes such as a Number 2 or a Number 303 can. Here's a chart to help you determine how these correspond to current can measurements.
Standard Measurement Equivalent Chart
Need a pint instead of 2 Cups? Find equivalent measurements in this PDF chart.
Often for lack of an ingredient, a recipe is ruined, an extra trip to the store is required, or you must buy a large container of an ingredient for just a teaspoon or two needed in a recipe.
Nutrition Substitutions and Makeovers
Recipe substitutions and makeovers that help you enjoy delicious and nutritious food.
More Substitution Ideas from "Cook it Quick"
Currently featuring ...
(Updated December 9, 2013)
- Healthy Bites Newsletter
December: Healthy holiday party tips
- Cook It Quick Newsletter
- Food Reflections Newsletter
Holiday Tips via Pinterest
- Walk Nebraska Newsletter
December Issue: Fitting in Activity - Walking at Work
- Making HealthierRDecisions
- Nutrition Know How Blog
(A new tip posted weekly)
- Discover Foods Blog
(a new tip posted weekly)
- Cook It Quick Blog
(published 1 -2 times/month)
- Agri-Cultural with Dr. Lindsay
- Food, Nutrition & Health by the Month Calendar
- Food Fun for Young Kids (Pinterest)
- Easy (& Healthy!) Everyday Recipes (Pinterest)
- "Choose MyPlate" Update (video)
- 4-Day Throw Away (food safety app)
- Choose MYPlate: Selected Consumer Messages (free PowerPoint and online slide show)
- Test Your Salt Savvy (quiz)