Please see the drop-down menu under Food Topics in the top navigation bar for links to pages on other food topics.
Quick Berry Oatmeal
Printer-friendly PDF copy of recipe
Questions?? - Contact author Cami Wells, MS, RD
¼ cup quick oats
½ cup non-fat milk
½ cup frozen berries
2 teaspoons brown sugar (optional)
1 Tablespoon finely chopped nuts* (optional)
- Place oats, milk, berries and brown sugar in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover. Microwave 1 ½ to 2 minutes until hot, stirring at least once. Watch mixture closely so that it does not cook over the bowl. Handle carefully as bowl may be hot.
- Top with nuts and enjoy! Makes 1 serving. Each serving contains: 154 calories, 1 g fat, 7 g protein, 28 g carbohydrate, 52 mg sodium without brown sugar and nuts (and with brown sugar and nuts: 225 calories, 6 g fat, 8 g protein, 35 g carbohydrate and 54 mg of sodium).
*If serving to young children, chop finely to reduce choking hazard.
- Consider using a larger bowl or even a microwave-safe liquid measuring cup with "space" at the top to heat oatmeal if problems with overflowing occur.
- Adding berries after cooking oatmeal to help mixture to "cool down" is another option.
- Be careful when serving to children to make sure that bowl and oatmeal are not too hot. Consider placing oatmeal in another bowl before serving to a young child.