Questions?? - Contact author Cami Wells, MS, RD
Do your kids love to dip? A "Vegetable Snowman" is a great item to bring to holiday parties and family events or just a fun snack to make. Feel free to be creative and use any type of vegetable that you might have on hand.
- Ranch dressing
- Cucumber slices
- Sliced olives
- Carrot sticks
- Cherry tomatoes
- Bell peppers
- Place ranch dressing in a small cup for the snowman's head.
- Assemble vegetables in the shape of a snowman using cucumber slices for the body, carrots for arms and nose, cherry tomatoes for buttons, bell peppers for hat and scarf, and olives for the eyes.
Making Vegetables More Appealing
Besides adding a dip, here are a few more tips for helping children enjoy vegetables:
- Be a good role model for children by eating vegetables yourself with meals and as snacks.
- Let your kids be "produce pickers." Let them pick out the vegetables at the store or farmers market.
- Try different forms - vegetables may be fresh, frozen, canned, or dried, and may be whole, cut-up, or pureed.
- Offer choices. Rather than ask, "Do you want broccoli for dinner?" ask "Which would you like for dinner, broccoli or cauliflower?"
- Kids like to taste what they have helped prepare. Depending on their age, children can help clean, peel, or cut up vegetables.
- Children often prefer foods served separately. So, rather than mixed vegetables try serving two vegetables separately.
Click here for Food Fun Newsletter that includes this recipe.