This slow-cooker stew is such a comfort food. Just smelling it as it simmers away makes you feel good! You probably have all or most of the ingredients in your kitchen. It is a comfort, also, to know you are providing a nourishing meal for your family.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cups chopped potatoes
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 can (15 ounce) tomatoes
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, basil or other herb (optional)
1. Brown ground beef in a medium fry pan. Drain fat.
2. Place beef, chopped vegetables, tomatoes and water in slow cooker.
3. Cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours.
Yield: 4 servings
- To lower sodium content, choose one of the many brands of tomatoes available in a —no salt added— version.
- I didn't have celery on hand when I made this recipe and added another cup of chopped carrots, instead.
Adapted from: Montana Extension Nutrition Education Program Website Recipes, Montana State University Extension Service. Author: Montana State University Extension Service and available at SNAP-Ed Connection Recipe Finder.