Printer Friendly Copy (PDF 3,967 KB)
Spring is here! Which means sporting events are starting back up again. This can be a hard time to help kids choose healthy snacks with those concession stands advertising fried foods and candy. Here are some helpful hints to keep these sporting event snacks nutritious and delicious!
- Dips Galore: Pack a cooler filled with various dips (such as the "Sassy Pretzel Dip" found below) for veggies, pretzels, and whole-grain crackers to replace the nacho cheese at the concession stands.
- Brain Freeze: Try making your own freezer pops! In little paper cups, pour low fat yogurt or juice and mix in some fresh fruit and stick a straw in the middle. Freeze until the "pops" are frozen. Pack in a cooler. To eat: peel back the paper cup and enjoy!
- Candy Mash-Up: Bring along some trail mix with dried fruit, nuts, and a little chocolate.
- Fizzy Juice: Mix seltzer water and mix them with your child's favorite 100% juice.
Sassy Pretzel Dip
¼ cup "light" mayonnaise
¼ cup brown mustard
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
Hard or soft pretzels OR vegetables
- Combine mayonnaise, mustard, and brown sugar.
- Serve 2 tablespoons of dip to each child with some pretzels or vegetables.
- Dip pretzels or veggies in the dip and enjoy!
- If bringing to a sporting event, make sure to gobble it all up within 2 hours or place leftovers in a refrigerator or cooler.
Author: Kelsey Bair, UNL Dietetic Intern
Questions? Contact: Cami Wells, MS, RD, Extension Educator, Nebraska Extension in Hall County