Questions or Comments? Contact Alice Henneman, MS, RDN, Extension Educator at email@example.com
Everyone eats! Visit Nebraska Extension’s food.unl.edu website and find practical, tested tips and recipes to help you and/or your clientele, students, readers, etc.:
- eat healthier.
- quickly and economically prepare tasty meals.
- follow food safety practices that keep you from getting sick.
Food.unl.edu is one of the nation’s most recognized Extension food-related websites. Last year it received over 2.6 million pageviews from 225 countries and is the Institute of Agriculture & Natural Resources most visited website.
You are welcome to use/adapt materials developed by University of Nebraska–Lincoln Extension. Just give a credit line or say it was "adapted" by you. More specific information is given with several of the items.
The website and its offerings have been recognized by several awards and accomplishments: 6 national awards, 25 peer-reviewed national posters and presentations, and 9 peer-reviewed journal articles. Check out the following FREE resources and recipes you can use in your personal and/or professional life:
Self-paced slideshows, handouts, related recipes and PowerPoints
Here are four popular examples of our 20+ FREE downloadable PowerPoints and handouts:
- Makeover Your Leftovers
- Slow Cooker Meals
- Healthy Cooking with Fresh Herbs
- Holiday Food Mixes in a Jar
- View a list of all our PowerPoints and related handouts
Learn personally from our email newsletters. Share and/or reproduce them to spread the word about healthy eating. Here’s a brief description of the different newsletters:
- Healthy Bites focuses on a different food, nutrition and/or health theme each month. Main Page | Archives | Subscribe
- Cook It Quick aims to make you "hungry for healthy food" by offering tips and delicious, quick-to-prepare, inexpensive recipes: Recipes | Main Page | Subscribe | Archives
- Food Fun for Young Children serves up quick, healthy meal and snack ideas and recipes for younger children: Recipes/Archives | Subscribe
- Family Fun on the Run is designed to help you and your family achieve a healthier lifestyle by making walking an important part of your personal fitness program: Main Page | Archives | Subscribe
- Food Reflections provides a "how-to" message on food, nutrition, or food safety for health professionals, educators, and consumers. Archives | Subscribe
- Nebraska Extension's Calendar of Food Days, Weeks and Months is a monthly, web-based food-themed calendar. It provides resources for selected national food-themed days, weeks, and months. Main Page/Subscribe
Enjoy healthy cooking from your own kitchen. Use recipes from the following Recipe Central collections to get started.
- Food Fun for Young Children
- Cook It Quick
- Discover Seasonal Cooking
- Cooking with Kids
- Gluten-Free Baking with Sorghum
- Nutrition Education Program (Helps families on a limited budget make healthier food choices by acquiring the knowledge, skills, attitudes, and behavior changes necessary to improve their health.)
- Meat Safety & Preparation
Food safety and preservation
Nebraska Extension Educators have collated answers to food safety and preservation questions we get asked most often at:
- Safe food storage
- Safe food preparation and handling at home
- Food poisoning
- Home Food Preservation
Our handwashing posters have been used all over the world. Perhaps you have seen some of them in a restroom near you!
- Sink Those Germs (for younger children. Materials include: game, posters, and activity sheet)
- General Handwashing Poster (for adults and older children)
- English/Spanish Handwashing Poster and Activity Sheet (suitable for all ages)
- Wash Your Hands After ... (for younger children)
Agriculture and food
Nebraska Extension works with food from “farm gate to consumer plate.” We've linked to National and our own local Agriculture commodity groups and other groups providing agricultural information. Find links here: