Walk Nebraska Newsletters
September 2012: Exercise and Older Adults
Being physically active is vital to maintaining health and independence as we age. Before you begin and exercise program, here are a few things to keep in mind.
- Safety always comes first.
- If you haven’t had regular checkups, you might want to talk with your doctor about your workout plans. Ask if there are any reasons to modify your program or adjust the exercises to do them safely.
- Always listen to your body and do what you can as long as you’re comfortable.
- Drink plenty of water. Unless your doctor has asked you to limit fluids, be sure to drink water when you exercise. Many older adults don’t feel thirsty even when their body needs fluids.
- Wear comfortable clothes. Be sure to wear clothes that let you move freely.
Questions?? - Contact author Sandy Preston, Extension Educator
- Check out Walk Nebraska - a unique web site designed to help you achieve a healthier lifestyle by making walking an important part of your personal fitness program.
- More Newsletters from Walk Nebraska