Walk Nebraska Newsletter
March: Jiggle Your Wiggle
Put some jiggle in your wiggle. Be sure to loosen muscles before starting on your walk. Warm up and cool down, plus stretches after cool down are a very important part of any fitness activity. Warming your major muscles before an exerting walk prevents cramps and injuries such as shin splints. Begin walking slowly for 5 minutes. Next wiggle each major
muscle group a few times, starting with your head and working down to your toes:
- Move your head from side to side trying to touch your ear to your shoulder
- Roll shoulders backwards and then forwards
- Lift your arms to shoulder height and swing them back and forth
- Raise arms above your head and bend at the waist from side to side
- Bend forward to touch your toes with your hands
- Squat and hug your knees
- Standing, lift one leg in front and point your toe forward and then upward, back and forth a few times; repeat with the other leg
- Shake each leg
Click here for the complete article to learn more about exercise and boosting your immunity.
Contact author Jamie Goffena, Extension Educator in Dawes and Sioux County for questions.