Make Sandwiches a Meal
Alice Henneman, MS, RD, UNL Lancaster County Extension
With a little planning, you can turn a sandwich into a complete meal. This sandwich recipe provides veggies (cucumbers, lettuce, tomatoes, red pepper), dairy (cheese) and is served on whole grain bread.
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-type mustard
- 1 ounce cheddar or Swiss cheese
- 2 slices tomato
- 4 slices cucumber
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper strips
- 4 basil leaves or 2 romaine leaves (or other leafy green lettuce)
Spread one side of each piece of bread with mustard. Lay ingredients on one slice of bread and top with the other slice. Cut in half.