Walk Nebraska Newsletters
Improve your walking program by eating healthy, energy-rich foods. Choose foods with complex carbohydrates and fiber to provide energy before, during and after the walk.
Avoid eating a large meal right before starting a walk. Allow time for the food to begin the digestion process. On the other hand, do not walk on an empty stomach. Instead, eat a light snack of the foods listed below or other foods with complex carbohydrates. Foods high in simple carbohydrates will give you quick energy but little else so stay away from candy, cookies, cakes and soda pop when looking for energy sources.
HEALTHY SNACK IDEAS
- FRESH FRUITS: such as an apple, orange, banana, pear, peach, or kiwi
- FRESH VEGETABLES: such as carrots, peas, sliced green or red peppers, or broccoli
- WHOLE GRAINS: either alone or with a protein such as a bowl of cereal with low-fat milk, crackers and peanut butter, small bowl of popcorn, slice of toast, or a sandwich with lean meat
Questions?? - Contact author Susan Hansen, Extension Educator
- Check out Walk Nebraska - a unique web site designed to help you achieve a healthier lifestyle by making walking an important part of your personal fitness program.
- More Newsletters from Walk Nebraska