Questions?? - Contact author Cami Wells, MS, RD
Try these sweet little biscuits hot out of the oven! They are perfect as a snack with a glass of milk, as a quick breakfast, or to compliment a meal.
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
6 tablespoons shortening
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup raisins, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Combine dry ingredients.
3. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
4. Add milk and raisins; stir until dough leaves side of bowl.
5. Turn dough onto a lightly floured board. Knead about 20 times or until just smooth. Shape into a ball.
6. Pat or roll lightly until 1/2" to 3/4" thick. Cut out biscuits with a floured cutter.
7. Place biscuits on ungreased baking sheet.
8. Bake at 425°F for 12 to 15 minutes. Makes 15-18 small biscuits.
Optional Icing: In a microwave-safe dish combine 1 teaspoon margarine and 1/2 tablespoon milk. Microwave on medium power until margarine melts. Add 1/4 teaspoon vanilla and 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Stir until smooth. Spread on warm biscuits.
- Try using white whole wheat flour. Get the same nutritional benefits as whole white flour but with a lighter color and texture.
- A tomato paste can with the "ends" cut out makes a perfect biscuit cutter — inexpensive and results in the perfect "sized" biscuits for little tummies.
- This a great recipe to make with kids. The dough is easy to handle and only takes a few minutes to bake!